Saturday, February 14, 2009

Drool - The Best Valentine Ever

Okay, I am watching my husband with my 4 month old little daughter, Sydney (our first). She has in her mouth some sort of combination teething toy/light-up music thang. Part of it is in her mouth, the lights are going on and off, and drool is coming out both sides of her mouth (we think she may be getting a tooth).

I am utterly in love with this blue-eyed, mostly bald nordic-looking baby. She has the most amazing smile and laughs from the deepest part of her belly. Her eyes crinkle at the edges and when she grins dimples show in her cheeks.

Honestly, I can't think of a more genuine, more real, more constant feeling of love than that I have for this tiny (well, ok - she IS almost 16 pounds but still) creature who is all innocence, laughter, and wonder. She breaks my heart. I will do anything in the world to make her smile, want to cry when she cries, and even when she poops up to her armpits (which she routinely does - for some reason she is scatologically challenged and only does this once every day or so) I am grateful for the opportunity to make it better.

I think God gives us children so that when we have lost some of our own innocence and wonder with the world, we can see it anew through their eyes...even when our own are tired, and red, and glassy with lack of sleep.

I am sick with a bad cold, worried about the mighty dollar, and it is ugly/nasty cold outside. That said, it is my first Valentine's Day with Syd, and that alone makes it the best one ever.

(Lord, I am cheesy. Ah well. Tis V-day, after all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment