Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Baby goes up but won't go down...

In day two of my at least temporary attempt at being a Stay-at-home-mom (SAHM), I've discovered that the timing of my situation with the newly-found skill sets of my 10 month old daughter just may potentially drive me out of my mind.

Syd is all sunlight and laughter and giggles. She is crawling like mad, and learning all kinds of skills - and I am SO PROUD (really, I am, it's sick). Monday, however, she learned to stand up both in her playpen and in her crib...and has not gone down since.

I am sitting in the living room as we speak, listening to her babble. It has now been at least 1/2 hour, and she has not gone down. (Yep. Just went it to check. STILL STANDING!) We are in a stalemate: I will not take her out of the playpen, and she will not lay down in it. I checked her diaper, I know she has to be relatively full; I believe I am being tested.

::20 minutes later::

I tried lying on the floor next to the playpen; nothing. I tried patting her on the belly while she howled, nothing...kept pulling herself vailiantly up to battle again with the cage. My kid could give Rocky a run for his money. Finally, in almost tears I went into the kitchen, called my husband and made him listen to the howling. I expect it has been at least an hour at this point. I hang up the phone, sigh heavily, and start going through the process of making a bottle to see if that will help, only to look over at the playpen...

poor little thing has given up. She's on her belly, dead asleep.

I'm not sure it's a victory, but I am glad one of us can konk out. My head is pounding from the screaming, and I must away to the Advil. I may even take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment